Global Head of Research and Animal Welfare, Animals in Farming
Salary: $125,000 to $130,000 AUD per annum
Closing Date: Sunday 4th July 2021
Global Head of Research and Animal Welfare – The Role
In this role you will provide leadership and coordination of strategic animal welfare and food systems research, initiatives and projects in the Animals in Farming Programme. Under an exciting new strategy launched in 2021, the Animals in Farming Programme will work to ensure that farmed animals live good lives by helping to transform the global food system. In order to achieve this, we will follow a systemic approach to constrain and improve industrial systems to create space for alternatives that are better for animal welfare and are within the earth's resources. Part of this strategy is to drive the growth of plant-based and high welfare animal protein, paving the way for a decrease in meat consumption and the eventual decline of factory farming.
You will work with the Programme Director and the Heads of Campaigns to plan, develop and implement strategies to achieve transformational campaigns that deliver lasting impact for animals.
This position offers the successful candidate the opportunity to apply research- and evidence-led approaches to deliver successful campaigns to improve farm animal welfare globally and drive a transition to a more humane and sustainable food system
Global Head of Research and Animal Welfare – Requirements
• Experienced and highly motivated animal welfare expert, with a proven track record in leading, developing and delivering research and evidence-led approaches to achieve strategic outcomes.
• High level of awareness of global and regional social, economic, political and environmental issues relevant to animal welfare.
• Substantial experience of working on primary evidence gathering and data analysis in a scientific and / or academic environment, and knowledge of relevant methodologies and processes.
• Demonstrable experience of outreach, research and information gathering processes and techniques applied through an evidence gathering perspective across a range of issues and stakeholder groups.
• Experience of working in an international NGO and/or an international campaign environment.
• Experience in leading the operational and tactical delivery of global research findings to a high standard.
• Strong leadership qualities with the ability to communicate direction and gain commitment to action and develop mutual cooperation across teams and with external stakeholders.
• Substantial experience of senior level networking developing relationships with internal and external stakeholders and in representing an organisation to external stakeholders including media.
• Team player with excellent project management and co-ordination skills and ability to develop and maintain good working relationships across internal departments and teams.
• Experience of advising and overseeing relationships with animal welfare organisations, such as sanctuaries or rehabilitation projects, farms and other animal venues.
• Excellent communication and advocacy skills and experience of influencing key political and business stakeholders and shaping policy
• debates, including through the media and at external events.
• First class analytical and decision-making skills - able to assimilate and analyse information quickly and accurately to effectively inform campaign tactics and strategies.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills, including strong English language writing skills with an ability to be well understood by different audiences, including academic, expert, media and the public.
• Experience of working effectively with colleagues and external stakeholders in different cultural contexts.
• Experience of creating and managing budgets.
• A passion for animal welfare and a strong commitment to the aims and values of World Animal protection.
*We understand some people may not apply for jobs unless they tick every box. If you're passionate about joining us and think you have much of what we're looking for, even if you're not 100% sure… we'd love to hear from you. *
We actively encourage and promote diversity, ensure all voices are heard and included and are committed to equal opportunities for all.
We haven’t returned to our offices as of yet and are currently working to returning this year. Therefore, this position will start as a remote position however may require travel into the office when the office reopens.
At World Animal Protection we recruit with our values & behaviours in mind. Please bear this in mind through your application journey. These are:
Global: We make decisions & act with a global mindset
Diverse & Inclusive: We actively encourage and promote diversity, ensure all voices are heard and included and are committed to equal opportunities for all
Collaborative: We work together and co-create to achieve lasting change
Agile: We make change happen in a fast-moving world
Growing People: We continually learn and develop
Accountable: We are role models. We take responsibility for our actions and encourage others to do the same.
Courageous: We push boundaries, take risks and set ambitious targets