EXTERNAL AFFAIRS MANAGER
Type of contract: 24 months FTE with benefits. Ending after 24 months from start date
Location: USA (Washington D.C. or New York)
Salary: Starting salary is $78,488 per annum or exceptionally up to $85,215 per annum if the candidate can demonstrate exceptional skills and experience
World Animal Protection is looking for an External Affairs Manager to provide expertise and deliver our strategic global campaigns, lead and support the tactical delivery of stakeholder engagement and influencing at International and Regional levels.
This is an exciting role where the successful candidate will develop and deliver inspiring and innovated advocacy strategy and act as interface between the programme teams and external stakeholders, predominantly Governments and International institutions such as the United Nations, and the G20.
Who are we?
World Animal Protection is the global voice for animal welfare, with more than 70 years’ experience campaigning for a world where animals live free from cruelty and suffering.
We have offices in 12 countries and work across 47 countries. We collaborate with local communities, the private sector, civil society and governments to change animals’ lives for the better.
Our goal is to change the way the world works to end animal cruelty and suffering for both wild and farmed animals. Through our global food system strategy, we will end factory farming and create a humane and sustainable food system, that puts animals first. By transforming the broken systems that fuel exploitation and commodification, we will give wild animals the right to a wild life. Our work to protect animals will play a vital role in solving the climate emergency, the public health crisis and the devastation of natural habitats.
What will you be doing?
• Providing strategic input in the formulation of campaign advocacy objectives and being accountable for their delivery.
• Carry out stakeholder mapping, advocacy and engagement at global level in coordination with our strategic approach.
• Campaign external affairs including; specific input into campaign strategy development & delivery and specific implementation outside of local capability
• Ensuring campaigns are informed by and capable of achieving global strategic objectives associated with stakeholder engagement, external affairs and movement building
Who are we looking for?
• You must have experience working with or lobbied Governments in the United States of America
• You must have international experience with global or regional institutions
• Experienced and highly motivated policy, advocacy, and stakeholder engagement specialist, with a proven track record in developing and delivering stakeholder engagement approaches to achieve specific outcomes
• Knowledge and experience of influencing, lobbying and advocacy, working with decision makers and understanding the way in which they influence national policy agendas and in turn how national policy agendas can influence global processes
• Experience in the design and development of impactful stakeholder engagement approaches that have achieved change.
• Strong communication skills, and able to constructively engage external and internal stakeholders, to develop and deliver project solutions.
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills in English.
• Experience of creating and managing small budgets.
• Flexibility to undertake domestic and international travel.
What can we offer you?
We are offering a fair and competitive salary within the sector and regularly benchmark salaries. Other benefits including;
• The starting salary will be $78,488 or exceptionally up to $85,215 if the candidate can demonstrate exceptional skills and experience
• Medical Plans – World Animal Protection offers 3 plans that provide nationwide coverage in the Oxford (NY) / United Healthcare Network
• MetLife Dental PPO and Vision Plan ? Tax-Favored Spending Accounts ?
• 403(b) Retirement Defined Contribution Plan matching 100% of your contribution up to 3% of your salary
• Employee Assistance Program for mental health support available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year
• Term Life Insurance
• Travel Accident Insurance
• Generous Paid Time Off:
o 12 federal holidays
o 15 days of paid vacation, pro-rated on date of hire
o 3 personal days, pro-rated on hire date, to be used for any purpose
o Up to 9 days of wellness and safe leave, pro-rated on date of hire
o Flexible hours and a 35-hour work week
At World Animal Protection we recruit with our values & behaviours in mind. Please bear this in mind through your application journey. These are:
Global: We make decisions & act with a global mindset
Diverse and Inclusive: We actively encourage and promote diversity, ensure all voices are heard and included and are committed to equal opportunities for all
Collaborative: We work together and co-create to achieve lasting change
Agile: We make change happen in a fast-moving world
Growing People: We continually learn and develop
Accountable: We are role models. We take responsibility for our actions and encourage others to do the same
Courageous: We push boundaries, take risks and set ambitious targets